Tuesday, June 24, 2014

No dice

Let's Make a Baby, Season 2, Episode 4: yet another big fat negative.

"Oh man," my husband said, "all that work for nothing!"

Thanks, honey.

I know it's still pretty early, but the statistics get pretty depressing from here. According to my new favorite book, The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant, the great majority of women under 35 who are having well-timed intercourse will be pregnant at the end of four cycles. It's not exactly the kiss of death that I'm not knocked up yet, and it's way too early still to use the "infertility" word, but I do think it's time to get the ball rolling on figuring out whether we'll be able to achieve a healthy pregnancy without intervention. So I made an appointment with a well-respected fertility doctor for the end of next month, and I have to say, I feel incredibly relieved already. If there's something capital-letters WRONG, he should be able to figure it out - and if there's not, then I'm okay with baby-dancing away the next six months on our own, knowing that we should hit the jackpot eventually. Also, my former due date is rapidly approaching - as is the birth of my nephew a few days before said due date - and I would really like to be able to approach those dates with as much optimism and positivity as possible. Having a plan of action and knowing that I'm literally doing everything within my power to get myself preggo will really help, I think.

My husband asked how I decided on this particular doctor. First, it's because he takes our insurance, and second, it's because his rock-star colleague didn't have any openings for new patients until October - but most of all, it's because I really like his blog. In one entry where he was discussing some of his own medical history, he called a doctor an asshole. I wanted to reach through the computer and high-five him! Anyone who can give it to you straight like that is bound to be pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment